This recipe is actually three separate recipes: one for the turkey itself, another for a stuffing made with corn bread and pecans, and finally a recipe for the corn bread itself. Enjoy!
Southwestern Roast Turkey with Corn Bread-Pecan Stuffing
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Preparation time: 30 minutes. Cooking time: about 4 hours.
- 12 lb (5.5 kg)Â turkey
- halfÂ lemon
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- Corn Bread-Pecan Stuffing (see separate recipe)
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C).
Remove giblets and neck from turkey; set aside for stock.
- Rinse turkey inside and out; dry skin and cavity well with paper towels.
- Rub lemon half all over turkey, inside and out, squeezing juice as you do so.
- Sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper.
- Fill neck cavity with stuffing; sew or skewer skin to back to enclose.
- Fill body cavity with stuffing; tuck legs under band of skin or tie together with string.
- Place turkey breast-side up on greased rack in large, shallow roasting pan. Brush all over with oil.
- Tent turkey with foil, dull side out, tucking in ends but leaving sides open.
- Cook in oven 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes (use vegetable oil until there are enough pan drippings to baste with).
- Remove foil; cook 45 to 60 minutes, until juices run clear and thermometer inserted into thigh registers 185F (85C), and into stuffing registers 165F (75C).
- Transfer turkey to platter; let stand loosely tented with foil 20 minutes before carving.