1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 env. Fleishmann’s fast rising yeast
6 cups all-purpose flour (spoon lightly into cup)
2 cups milk
2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast and let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
2. combine milk and salt in saucepan and heat over low heat until lukewarm only.
3. Add milk mixture to dissolve yeast.
4. Add 3 cups flour combined with soda and mix until smooth.
5. Stir in enough of the remaining 3 cups flour to make a stiff batter.
6. Divide batter in half and press into two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal.
7. Sprinkle top with cornmeal and cover.
8. Let rise in a warm place 45 min. or until center is about 1 1/2 inches higher than the edges.
9. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.
10. Remove from pans and let cool.
11. Slice and toast.