I make two batches of this chili for our Open House just before Christmas every year. This is the recipe for one batch:
|1 1/2 lb (750 g)||Ground beef, medium|
|1||Red bell pepper|
|1||Onion, large (5-6 in diameter)|
|8 oz (227 g)||Mushrooms, sliced|
|4 cans||Kidney beans|
|2 cans||Ground tomatoes, large|
|1 can||Diced tomatoes, large|
|Canola or olive oil|
|Chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes, dried chives, roast garlic powder, ground habanero pepper, etc., to taste|
- Chop the onions and peppers into bite-size pieces (1/2 -3/4 in long). Slice the celery stalks into thin slices. Peel the garlic cloves and chop.
- Sauté the peppers in a large frying pan with liberal quantities of canola or olive oil, until tender.
- While sautéing, empty the cans of tomatoes into a large pot and heat over low heat.
- Add the sautéed peppers to the tomatoes.
- One after the other, sauté the celery, sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, and the chopped garlic in oil, and add to the tomatoes.
- Drain the kidney beans and add to the large pot. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Season to taste.
- (Optional) remove a portion into a microwaveable dish, for vegetarians.
- Fry the ground beef until nicely browned, seasoning liberally. Add to the pot and adjust seasonings.