Herbed Corn Bread (Use for Turkey Stuffing)
Makes one 8-in. (20 cm) square corn bread.
Preparation time: 15 minutes. Cooking time: 25 minutes.
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornmeal
1 Tb granulated sugar
1 Tb baking powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp crumbled dried sage
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup milk
⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, thyme, sage, and salt.
- In glass measure, combine milk, oil, and egg; beat lightly.
- Add milk mixture all at once to dry ingredients; stir with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened but mixture is still lumpy.
- Spread batter evenly in greased 8-in (2 L) square cake pan.
- Bake in oven 25 minutes, until golden and risen.
- Let cool in pan.
- Cut into small cubes before adding to stuffing.